Sunday, July 5, 2009

Latino Leadership Alliance of Lehigh Valley

I have been a member of the Latino Leadership Alliance of the Lehigh Valley for ten years. I enjoy the meetings - I get energy from them, meet interesting people and learn more about my community.

A member of the organization hosted a wonderful dinner meeting this week. I got to see old friends and make new ones, and enjoy some delicious homemade Latino dishes. We discussed the coordination of publicity about various projects of the committees, such as education and health.

At our gatherings I meet people from many different countries and cultures. This week, some of us had a discussion after dinner about how the culture and geography of where we grew up and lived in at different times has influenced our outlooks on life. Our stories reflect sad times and happy times, and they are always interesting.

As far as my family history, most of my ancestors came from Germany in the 1800s. I'm sad about the fact that I didn't get the opportunity to learn German from them.

I enjoy languages and learn about them whenever I can. I studied Spanish in school, which I enjoyed very much, and still like to speak. I have also learned a little bit of German, French, and several other languages, through classes and friends. Thanks to all those who've taught me!

Attendance and membership in the Latino Leadership Alliance of the Lehigh Valley are open to anyone. Monthly meetings usually take place at the Lehigh County Government Center at 8:30 a.m. on the third Tuesday of every month, except July and August. The Government Center is located at 17 S. 7th Street in Allentown.

For further information, see the organizations web site at www.llalv.org. Meetings are conducted in English, and there is no charge to attend. The organization also holds meetings and activities of various committees, and several special events each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment